Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Memories on a piece of paper

Those who never got a letter probably don’t know this wonderful feeling when you spot a colorful envelope in your mail box, from a friend living hundreds or even thousands of kilometers from you. It’s amazing how such a small thing can mend a bad mood and bring a moment of happiness. Whenever I find a letter for me in the mail box, my heart beats faster, my mouth changes in a shape of banana and my legs gain an extra speed to get some knife or scissors to open the envelope and dip myself into the world of a friend.
 
Letters have been a part of my life since I was 14 years old. My first penpal was a girl named Ola who I met at the age of 10 when my parents bought a summer house by the lake. We were spending every vacation there and to keep in touch during a school year, we decided to write to each other. I still have these letters and come back to them from time to time. They always make me smile. So childish and innocent - our memories on a piece of paper. I got hers, she’s got mine. What a shame the Internet interrupted us and we stopped writing letters to each other.
 

One and a half years ago I bumped at a penpalling site and happily discovered that there are still people who love writing letters. I found new wonderful friends from all over the world. My mail box isn’t empty any more and the lost feeling of excitement came back. Till the moment I re-started penpalling, I didn’t realize how much I missed it. It’s one of the best things that happened in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment